Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Berks lawyer in secret DUI case had donated to judge’s campaign

by Steve Reinbrecht

The Berks County lawyer whose DUI hearing was improperly held in secret Feb. 8 had donated to the election campaign of the judge who heard his case.

“Zachary A. Morey was accepted into a court-approved program Monday that allows first-time offenders to avoid jail and probation sentences. But the proceeding was held in a back room off of Judge Eleni Dimitriou Geishauser's courtroom instead of in public view in open court,” the Reading Eagle reported Thursday, Feb. 11.


State records show that Zachary Morey, 29, donated $25 to Geishauser’s campaign last year. Geishauser was elected in November and joined the bench at the beginning of the year. She handles DUI cases.

She also received campaign a $250 contribution from Susan Morey, who records show lives at the same Spring Township address as Zachary, and $103.49 from James Polyak, the name of the lawyer who represented Zachary Morey in his out-of-view DUI case.

Sure – lots of people gave Geishauser money for her campaign [including a few people from whom I wouldn’t take $1 million, if I expected to be an elected official, such as Frank McCracken, Kevin Timochenko and Gene LaManna].

And the amount Morey and Morey and Polyak contributed is the tiniest fraction of the nearly $80,000 Geishauser raised.

But aren’t these people smart enough to realize even APPEARANCES matter, especially in the fifth-most corrupt state in America and in the corrupt city of Reading?

It’s more evidence that in Berks, it’s who you do favors for, not the rules, that matter.

I’m glad reporter Stephanie Weaver was so alert and curious and persistent that she uncovered this for publication.


But I blame the Reading Eagle for generally, over the years, training elected officials that they don’t have to worry much about pesky reporters asking embarrassing questions, leveraging sources, poking through finances or pissing off powerful people.

10 comments:

  1. Keep up the good work dogging The Reading Eagle. Maybe you can help remake them a force for good in Reading/Berks.

    (Found you via Go ReadingBerks on FB)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved as much as you’ll receive carried out right here. The sketch is attractive, your authored material stylish. nonetheless, you command get got an nervousness over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come more formerly again as exactly the same nearly a lot often inside case you shield this hike. Elia & Ponto

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eventually, the author make an update for a blog. I used to be waiting anxiously for your own next update. I am hoping you will consider updating often so your readers may follow along. I do not have much joy in life today but your blog is one of them. I recognize life is busy but I really hope you will take the time to keep us modified on any progress. gpwlaw-mi.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can set up my new idea from this post. It gives in depth information. Thanks for this valuable information for all,.. Click Here

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey what a brilliant post I have come across and believe me I have been searching out for this similar kind of post for past a week and hardly came across this. Thank you very much and will look for more postings from you. lemon law attorney california

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven’t any word to appreciate this post.....Really i am impressed from this post....the person who create this post it was a great human..thanks for shared this with us. brain injury attorney los angeles

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often. personal injury claims settlements

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. property protection laws

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon! lemon law attorney los angeles

    ReplyDelete
  10. You make so many great points here that I read your article a couple of times. Your views are in accordance with my own for the most part. This is great content for your readers. Online Quran Academy

    ReplyDelete