Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Greater Reading Convention & Visitors Bureau website is sadly out of touch


I’m Damien Hipster, and my job is to find a cool place for my software company in Delaware to hold its yearly convention. We do smart things all day and then want to go out at night. 

We like visiting small cities rather than stuffy resorts, and somewhere I heard about Reading, Pa. I’ll take a look at their tourism site, Greater Reading Convention & Visitors Bureau.

Take a Ride, is the logo. Right, the Reading Railroad! We’ll take a train ride! 

[Click, click, click, hmmmmm.] OK, I’ll look for that later.

I know I heard about an incredible arts center in Reading. I know we’d want to see that. Maybe buy some art. Here, “arts and culture.”

Hah! The Amish. No thanks. Done covered bridges, libraries and museums. Hmmm. What’s the name of that arts center? I’ll scroll down a bit … 

Daniel Boone … Ephrata Cloister? Forget this … maybe under “attractions” …

“If there is one word that best describes the attractions in Greater Reading, it would be ‘unique’.” [sic] 

This is getting pretty lame.

“We're home to North America's only pagoda, one of Pennsylvania's natural wonders, and a miniature man-made village.” Wow.

What’s wrong with this site?
I do know a bit about marketing, you know. Most people organizing visits have seen a lot of these sites. Alphabetical might be an easy way to arrange all this info, but it’s a stupid way.

Finally, here it is -- Google Works Center for the Arts!



I wonder if the Google people know this place stole their name?

“Housed in the former Willson Safety Goggle Factory, this venue features studios, exhibits, galleries and classes, all under one roof.” Yawn. Wish I could see a list of the restaurants we could walk to from a downtown hotel …

Let’s see Pittsburgh …

Ooh! Free things to do! That’s good.

And places open late. Good to know.

Funny, it wouldn’t be technically harder to have a useful website in Reading. Not even more expensive. Just needs better thinking.

1 comment:

  1. Imagination and vision would make a huge difference.

    ReplyDelete