Thursday, July 24, 2014

Berks County deserves real-world answers from new Reading school chief

by Steve Reinbrecht

Berks County Television [BCTV] scooped the Reading Eagle, landing a 30-minute interview with Reading’s new public school superintendent.


If you had one question for the new city school chief, what would it be?

Maybe: “There’s been like 13 superintendents in the last 8 years, and none could wrangle the board or pull the district out of about the bottom 2 percent or so of Pennsylvania’s districts.

“Why are you going to succeed when they all failed?”

Reading School District Superintendent Khalid Mumin's background and achievements are impressive. I truly, sincerely wish him well and hope he turns the essential institution around.

I was less impressed by his interview because I wanted at least a few concrete and measurable goals. 

I wasn't really expecting BCTV producer and School Board Director Robin Costenbader-Jacobson to ask serious questions. So I can’t wait for the Reading Eagle, Greater Reading’s pinnacle newsgathering operation, to cop an interview and to pin Mumin down on things like: 

• When will he release class-size information? 
• Are all the teachers qualified in their subjects? 
• Will he replace any principals? 
• Who was in charge of the finance office when unopened mail piled up? 
• Why should the public trust his financial figures now? 
• Are all key positions, like director of special education, properly filled?
• Will policies and curricula be available online?
• Why was former Superintendent Carlinda Purcell fired? What are the financial details of her termination?
• What are the priorities? Finance, IT, staffing, curriculum, fixing buildings?
• How will the 80,000 people in the city learn about progress?

Mumin did say, in no particular order and according to my distracted notetaking [all quotes severely out of context]:
• He is a classic-car fanatic, with two Cadillacs.
• The first year will be a year of assessment.
• He found out at the district’s administrative retreat that he has a dedicated administrative staff.
• The fact that most of his staff have 10 or more years with the district shows that the administration has stayed consistent – “They’re in – they’re just looking for leadership and guidance.”
• He wants “to meet everyone and anyone.”
• “I truly believe we’re on the pathway to excellence.”
• “I believe that appreciation and being humble is part of my experience.”
• “Building relationships is key."
Costenbader-Jacobson showed complete support.
• "We did attract the best of the best."
• “He doesn’t just talk the talk, he walks the walk, he runs the walk.”

No comments:

Post a Comment